I don't know about you guys, but I like reading about how other blogger's blog. I've been blogging for almost four years now (what!!) and I've finally developed a routine that works for me. When I was in college my posts were pretty sporadic, but now I consistently post three times a week, two of those posts always being outfits. I know we all have our own routines and what works for us, so I thought I would give a little behind the scenes and share how In Search of Sheila functions.
- I keep track of blog post ideas in several notebooks, my planner, and on my phone.
- I have a desk calendar specifically for my blog because I'm a visual person and like to see my month at a glance to help me organize what days I plan to post.
- Tip: Use a planner that has both a calendar and weekly view to give you a short and long range plan of your posts. A monthly view helps you plan in advance and a weekly view reminds you of what you need to post that week!
- I recently invested in a Canon T6i which I am LOVING! (Review coming soon.) After shooting with my trusty Nikon D50 for over 10 years it finally found its resting place.
- As for other gear I just use a tripod and actually never used a remote. The T6i actually has a WIFI remote setting that connects to your phone through an app and it's honestly life-changing (and one of the reasons I decided on this model).
- Tip: You don't need a fancy camera to be a blogger!! There are many people out there running successful blogs with just a phone camera or point and shoot. My advice is to do your research and find what's best that's within your budget.
SHOOTING + EDITING
- I bulk shoot on the weekends when I have free time and squeeze in shoots after work depending on sunlight (clearly harder to shoot in the winter time with limited daylight).
- Most of the time I shoot my own outfit and lifestyle photos with a tripod and self-timer. Sometimes I'll get help someone else like my boyfriend, but I always direct them for certain shots and angles I want.
- I use Adobe Photoshop CC 2017 which I lease monthly for around $10.
- Tip: If you are short like me, shoot from a lower angle to appear taller.
WRITING + PUBLISHING
- I like to translate a narrative (thanks grad school) in every post rather than just saying "here is what I wore." Does it annoy anyone else when bloggers only post photos and don't write anything?
- I always make sure I proofread for typos or sentences that don't make any sense.
- Tip: Reading your posts out loud helps identify if words flow together or not and also for typos!
- Tip: If you have writer's block, just start typing whatever comes to mind. I usually start talking about the weather or something about my day. It helps!
PROMOTING MY POST
- After the post is published I always promote it on my social media accounts: Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, Pinterest, and outfits get posted on Lookbook.
- Another great place to promote your post and receive genuine engagement is in Facebook groups.
- *Tip: Hashtags are a small blogger's best friend. Don't be ashamed to use them!
And that's how I blog!
Have you developed a blogging routine that works for you? How long does it typically take you to get a post up between shooting, editing, and writing? I'd love to hear some of your tips and tricks!
Never miss a post!
Subscribe to get the latest content by email.
Success! Now check your email to confirm your subscription.